Tuesday, May 31, 2011

You punk young'ns.


Okay, first, according to the stat thing blogger has now, I have five readers in Germany.  So… guten tag?  Bitte schön!  Dies ist ein Volkswagen.  That’s all I know.  I would like everyone to be impressed that I just blogged an umlaut.

Second, allow me to be Old Man Garvey for a second and shout at all you entitled whippersnappers because back in my day (see, 2009), we didn’t have all these new-fangled stat counter contraptions.  Actually, we did, but we had to install them by hand in the snow uphill both ways.  If you wanted to blog, you had three templates to choose from, none of them were viewable on a mac, everyone had one font, and if you could post a geocites-style gif in an hour, well sonny, you were one happy blogger. 

And today I can blog an umlaut?  Welcome to the future, Baby #3.  Welcome to the future.

How else is life different today you ask?  I’ll tell you.  I’ll tell you in a blog.  I’ll blog you. 

  1. Time off – Maeve and Addie were born in 2006 and 2008, respectively, when I was still in law school.  Maeve had the common courtesy to join the earth during summer vacation, and Addie was born, literally, the day after my last exam of the fall semester, giving me all of winter break to hang out at home.  Turns out adults with careers don’t have summer/winter vacation – did all of you know about this?  Thanks for the heads up, guys.  So the first major difference is that I won’t be there for Baby #3 as much as I was for Maeve and Adelaide.  Sorry, Baby #3, Daddy loves slaving away for billable hours more than he loves you.
  1. No DVR – awhile back, Lisa and I put our foot down and canceled all but the most basic cable channels.  With the internet, Netflix, and dvds stolen from Aunts Cecilia and Amy, we really haven’t missed paying hundreds of dollars for 900 qvc stations.  What will suck is no dvr.  Having a Simpsons ready to go at any hour of the night was clutch.  Without that, I assume I’ll just pass the time churning butter and reading the Bible while feeding Baby #3.
  1. Technology – With M&A, we never got a 3D image in utero.  Everything’s in 3D nowadays.  And yes, I’m pretty sure that my baby is wearing a monocle. 

There are others, I’m sure, but I need to get back to slaving away for billable hours. 

Tschüs!

1 comment: